Choosing a Grade and Skill Level for Your Youth Basketball Team
The American Youth Basketball TOUR (A.Y.B.T.) is a grade-based program. As a result, this does allow for students who have been held back or started late to have an opportunity to participate with their present grade. Any student athlete older than the posted dates and in that particular grade, AYBT feels would benefit most by playing with players their own age. Listed below are the age/grade relationships. There are no exceptions to this policy. Grades are based on the current 2016/2017 School year, not the grade that they are going into in the Fall of 2017.
|Age/Grade clarification for the 2016-17 school year|
|PLAY THIS LEVEL IF:||BORN ON OR AFTER:|
|4th grade/10u||September 1st 2007|
|5th grade/11u||September 1st 2006|
|6th grade/12u||September 1st 2005|
|7th grade/13u||September 1st 2004|
|8th grade/14u||September 1st 2003|
|9th grade/15u||September 1st 2002|
|10th grade/16u||September 1st 2001|
|11th grade/17u||September 1st 2000|
|12th grade/18u||September 1st 1999|
As an example: a player currently in the fifth grade but born prior to Sept 1, 2006 is too old to play in the 5th grade category. He/she must play on a 6th grade team or the team will have to move to the sixth grade division.
Grade Divisions for Boys and Girls Basketball Players
*Directors’ hold the rights to combine grade divisions at their tournaments.
Team Ratings for Boys and Girls Basketball
As a coach, you and your director will rate your team as
- Average (A) = Division III
- Good (G) = Division II
- Highly Skilled (HS) = Division I
A few things to keep in mind about team ratings
- If you’re an all-star team, hold tryouts to select top players, or recruit players because of their skill level, it’s important that you play as a highly skilled team.
- Since there are no trophies or awards at District Series Events, many teams will choose to play up or down a division, depending on skill level.
- Whenever possible, teams are scheduled to play teams of similar skill level.
For a more detailed description of American Youth Basketball Tour policies, see our rules & regulations page.